Search This Blog

Make your own Scoodie

Once upon a time a few decades ago, my mom knit me a scoodie. What is a scoodie? Its a scarf plus a hoodie, together. That scoodie was wa...


Once upon a time a few decades ago, my mom knit me a scoodie. What is a scoodie? Its a scarf plus a hoodie, together. That scoodie was warm and I wore it. It did all the things a scoodie should do, but the one thing it wasn't, was cool.
So of course, as the cold weather begins again, I start thinking about my scoodie and keeping my own kids warm. The truth is on Monday, I actually went to PDF Pattern Sales and Promotions on Facebook asking for the scoodie patterns that were available. But then I remembered a blog post I read MANY years ago about making a scoodie. At the time that I read it, it was WAY above my skill level. But now that I've read about a dozen blog posts on how to draft your own scoodie, I'm certain you already have everything you need to make a scoodie.

There are tons of tutorials out there, so I'm not going to reinvent the wheel, but I will tell you how I worked mine out.

To make your own Scoodie, you will need a hood pattern and the fingertip to fingertip measurement of the person you will make it for. I am using the Max and Meena All Ears Hoodie. Firstly, because I have it already printed in the size I need. Secondly, because the pattern includes ear, fin and spike shapes to make these really fun for kids. Please note, the pattern comes through size 16/18, which I think would fit an adult just fine too.

I started out intending to sew for my 6 year old, I started with the hood for the size 6/7. The hood is designed to go from the top of the head to the neckline. I obviously want it to stop above there so there is room for the scarf, so I removed 3" from the base of the hood. I completed the hood according to the directions in the pattern, then set it aside. I ultimately found that this size hood fit my 4yo through my 8yo. I did have to adjust the scarf length for each child though. Pictured here is my 4yo.

Next I took my daughter's fingertip to fingertip measurement that was 45". To take this measurement, have the person extend their arms straight in front of them. Then measure from fingertip, around the back to fingertip. I know I will need a 1/2" seam allowance (+1") plus 6" on each side to make a hand pocket (+ 12"). My entire scarf pieces were 7" x 58".

Next, I sandwiched the neckline of the hood between the scarves and sewed all the way around, leaving a hole to turn it all right side out.

Flip it right side out. Then fold up the 2 ends by 6" to make the pockets and stitch down the 2 long lengths of the scarf to secure the pockets AND close up the turning hole.

That's it. you're done.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

These Reads

Analytics ( do not remove )